The 2019 Nuna PIPA car seat continues Nuna's heritage of producing baby gear with a conscious awareness for the quality of ingredients used. The 2019 PIPA car seat series includes three types of car seats - the Nuna PIPA, the PIPA Lite and the PIPA Lite LX. All three car seats have the same exact car seat base, the car seat carriers, however, differ by weight and functionality. Read on for a full comparison of all three car seats.
A comparison of the Nuna PIPA, PIPA Lite and PIPA Lite LX car seats:
- One difference between the seats is the weight. Of course, a lighter seat is always more desirable, all things being equal. Nuna PIPA weighs 7.9 lbs., the PIPA Lite weighs 5.3 lbs. and is the lightest of the three options, and the Nuna PIPA Lite LX weighs 5.7 lbs. This weight does not include the canopy or the infant insert.
- Outside of weight, perhaps the next most important difference is that the Nuna PIPA may be installed and used without the car seat base. In fact, the PIPA is FAA approved with and without the base. The PIPA Lite and PIPA Lite LX models, by nature of being much lighter car seats, are always installed and used with the base. Due to this and depending on your lifestyle and where you live, this might be a major plus for you for the Nuna PIPA car seat. For customers who live in busy metropolitan cities where you might expect to take taxicabs more often than not, or if you expect to travel with baby by air in the first 1+ year, you may consider the Nuna PIPA for the convenience of being able to install the car seat without the base. If these details are not as relevant to your lifestyle, than the lighter versions - the PIPA Lite and PIPA Lite LX - would be more desirable.
- Nuna PIPA and PIPA Lite LX have a built-in "Dream Drape", which is an expandable fabric hidden inside the car seat's canopy for added sunshade. The Nuna PIPA Lite does not have the Dream Drape as it's meant to be a super light seat at 5.3 lbs.
- The Nuna PIPA Lite LX is made with premium merino wool fabric and Tencel. The Nuna PIPA and Nuna PIPA Lite are made with beautifully soft knit fabrics.
- Lastly and as a bonus, the Nuna PIPA Lite and Nuna PIPA LX include an additional infant insert that's made of 100% organic cotton, with a beautiful diamond-stitched pattern in a soft, light grey fabric. If you really loved this option of the organic cotton insert, you may also add it to the Nuna PIPA car seat for $29.95.
- The priced for the three seats are $299.95 for the Nuna PIPA, $349.95 for the Nuna PIPA Lite and $399.95 for the Nuna PIPA Lite LX.
Enhancements in the 2019 Nuna PIPA Car Seat series:
- FR Chemical Free Fabric. In this new 2019 release, the Nuna PIPA car seats in all options include fabric that is FR chemical free. In 2018, the PIPA Lite and PIPA Lite LX benefited from this feature, and with this new release, all options including the regular PIPA line will include fabric that is FR chemical free. This is very much a welcomed change in the baby gear community and more importantly, for parents.
- Luxe Brown Leatherette Handles. Most of the PIPA colors across all three models will receive beautifully warm-toned brown leatherette handles. Additionally, in the PIPA Lite LX line, there are three options with a similar leatherette handle, in black.
- New Colors. Various light and grey-ish neutral tones have been added to the 2019 PIPA collection which, combined with black or brown leatherette handles, makes for one stylish yet understated car seat design. These new PIPA colors are so complementary of the Nuna strollers, you may mix and match them any number of ways with the Nuna strollers to form one complete stroller/car seat travel system.
The 2019 Nuna PIPA Car Seat base (included with all three car seats):
- Since launch in the US market years ago, the Nuna PIPA has really taken the car seat marketplace by storm for a number of reasons. The PIPA offers unique safety and convenience features that are hard to find in US seats, the most important of which is likely its car seat base.
- A product of Dutch design, the PIPA has a steel-enforced stability load leg that fits onto the floor of the car. All things being equal, in the event of an accident, this steel leg helps to keep the car seat's base more stable and less likely to reposition or rebound.
- The PIPA is an ISOFIX car seat that has a rigid latch system. What this means is the latching system of the car seat is built with metal and is therefore more durable and more reliable.
- The car seat base also has installation indicators, located in both the stability leg, on both sides of the base near the latch, and in the middle of the base. The combination of these indicators helps to ensure that the base is installed in a properly level, firm position.
- We also carry the separate PIPA car seat base, if you'd need one for a second car in the family. A second base allows you to have a car seat base installed in each of two cars, and simply transfer the car seat from car to car without having to re-install the seat each time.
- Complete car seat, with canopy and infant insert
- In the case of the PIPA Lite and PIPA Lite LX, a second organic cotton insert is included to use in place of the original insert
- Nuna PIPA Car Seat Base with steel-enforced stability load leg
- Comprehensive PIPA Car Seat installation guide, including latch guides to aide with installation
- Nuna's 1 year manufacturers' limited warranty from defects
Compatability of the Nuna PIPA Car Seat:
- The 2019 Nuna PIPA is compatible with all Nuna strollers, which include the popular Nuna MIXX, as well as the Nuna TAVO, Nuna PEPP, and the Nuna Demi Grow.
- All three PIPA car seats are also compatible with UPPAbaby Vista and Cruz strollers with adapters. Refer to manufacturer's product manuals for specific compatibility criteria and recommended use.
- To combine the Nuna PIPA and a single UPPAbaby Vista or the Cruz, you have a choice in using the "Nuna PIPA adapter for UPPAbaby" (recommended, as this is a ring-style adapter and easier to use) or the "UPPAbaby Upper Adapter for Maxi-Cosi, Nuna and Cybex". This combination works with UPPAbaby strollers that are 2015 and newer.
- To combine the Nuna PIPA and a double UPPAbaby Vista stroller (with two seats), use the "UPPAbaby Upper Adapter for Maxi-Cosi, Nuna and Cybex" in the top position, or the "UPPAbaby Lower Adapter for Maxi-Cosi, Nuna and Cybex" in the lower position. This combination works with UPPAbaby strollers that are 2015 and newer.
- To combine the Nuna PIPA Lite or PIPA Lite LX with UPPAbaby Vista single stroller or the UPPAbaby Cruz, use the adapter "Nuna PIPA Adapter for UPPAbaby". This combination works with UPPAbaby strollers that are 2015 and newer.
- The Nuna PIPA Lite and the PIPA Lite LX are not compatible with the Vista double stroller when using the RumbleSeat.
We also carry these Nuna PIPA Series accessories:
- Nuna PIPA Rain Cover
- Nuna PIPA Organic Cotton Infant Insert with shoulder covers and seat pad
- Nuna PIPA Car Seat base - separate base for a second or third car in the family
- Nuna Universal Travel Bag - a luggage-grade travel bag with wheels, fits almost all Nuna products including the Nuna PIPA car seat with base
- Nuna PIPA adapter for UPPAbaby Vista and Cruz 2015 and newer models
- UPPAbaby adapter for Maxi-Cosi, Nuna PIPA and Cybex
- Nuna PIPA adapter for Bugaboo Cameleon 3 strollers, 2015 and newer models
- Nuna PIPA adapter for BOB single strollers, 2016 and newer models
- Nuna PIPA car seat latch guides (a pair of latch guides are included with the car seat as well)
- Nuna PIPA:
- Shipping dimensions: 28.7 lbs., 28.7"H x 19.8"L x 18.3"W
- Open product dimensions: 26.1"H x 25.1"L x 17.5"W
- Complete weight with base: 21.4 lbs.
- Car seat carrier only weight: 7.9 lbs. (excludes canopy and infant insert)
- Nuna PIPA Lite:
- Shipping dimensions: 28.8 lbs., 28.7"H x 19.8"L x 18.3"W
- Open product dimensions: 22.5"H x 27.25"L x 17.5"W
- Complete weight with base: 19.3 lbs.
- Car seat carrier only weight: 5.3 lbs. (excludes canopy and infant insert)
- Nuna PIPA Lite LX:
- Shipping dimensions: 30.5 lbs., 28.7"H x 19.8"L x 18.3"W
- Open product dimensions: 22.5"H x 27.25"L x 17.5"W
- Complete weight with base: 19.7 lbs.
- Car seat carrier only weight: 5.7 lbs. (excludes canopy and infant insert)